I have big ambitions for my morning routine. Every week I add fresh spinach and fruits to my grocery list with dreams of having fresh green smoothies for breakfast. I’ll wake up and feel rested while having some peace and quiet as I sip my nutritious smoothie and mentally prepare myself to tackle the day.
In reality, I set 6 alarms on my phone, hit snooze twice, wake up and do quick math to cut my shower time in half and sleep for twenty more minutes, gulp down my coffee while I wait for my dog to use the bathroom, and rush to work. The moral of the story? Don’t be like me, friends.
However, not being a morning person really paid off this week! The fresh spinach resulted in adding stuffed chicken breasts to the week’s dinner menu. The spinach was cooked down with some red onion, garlic, scallions and feta cheese. We ended up with juicy and delicious baked chicken which we ate with brown rice and a salad, and it gave us plenty of leftovers for the rest of the work week.
If this is what happens when I snooze, I’ll definitely take it.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup part-skim ricottta
- 1 (16 oz) bag fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter, melted or olive oil cooking spray
- 2 eggs, beaten plus 1 tbsp water
- 2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt, more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice each breast length-wise in half to create 8 thin cutlets. Season both sides of each cutlet with salt and pepper.
- In a saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 4-6 minutes. Add the scallions and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add fresh spinach and cook until wilted through, about 4-5 minutes. Add the feta and ricotta cheese, paprika, salt and pepper and stir until mixed. Taste and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- Place the egg wash and breadcrumbs in two separate bowls. Add the parmesan cheese to the breadcrumbs and mix. Place spoonfuls of the spinach mixture in each chicken breast, then roll, keeping the seam closed with your fingers. Dip the stuffed chicken in the egg wash and then roll in breadcrumbs. Place on a lightly greased baking tray, seam side down.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the chicken or lightly spray tops with the olive oil cooking spray and bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through.