With it being the season of Lent, T and I have been refraining from meat on Fridays. Before we were married, I had considered being a vegetarian several times and because of that I really love to challenge myself to create satisfying meatless meals that we both can enjoy. From eggplant pizza to butternut squash lasagna to sweet potato, chickpea, and arugula bowls, we really do love experimenting in the kitchen!
On the top of our list is this simple spinach stuffed manicotti. In this recipe, manicotti noodles are stuffed with spinach, ricotta, parmesan, and mozzarella cheeses, topped with marinara sauce (homemade or store bought), and baked. They’re a staple in our house, and are light and filling and so easy to prepare!
- 1 box manicotti noodles, cooked to al dente
- 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
- 15 oz part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, more for sprinkling
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 26 oz jar marinara sauce (like Mezzetta) or 3 cups homemade marinara sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Ladle about 1 1/2 cups of marinara sauce at the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine spinach, ricotta cheese, parmesan, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, egg, and salt and pepper. Using either a piping bag or a small frosting spatula, carefully fill each manicotti with the ricotta spinach mixture until just stuffed. Place each one in the baking tray, cover with remaining marinara sauce, sprinkle with a little mozzarella cheese, and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Your comments make my day. Thank you!