I’ve decided the best compliment I’ve received on my baked goods is my husband telling me to bring this lemon cake to work so he’ll stop sneaking bites of it while at home.
And then every time I walked by the kitchen I’d notice the cake growing smaller and smaller.
This cake has plain greek yogurt, lemon zest, and olive oil, and it’s light and fluffy with a sweet citrus tang. I added a teaspoon of water to powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a really light lemon glaze, but it’d be just as delicious without!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups plain greek yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, oil, lemon zest, yogurt, and vanilla. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, then pour into lightly greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Combine the sugar and lemon juice with a fork, and then drizzle over cake. Allow glaze to harden before serving.