My first apartment gym faced a Taco Bell. I’d hop on a machine and have no choice but to stare at the people coming in and out. They’d be laughing and smiling, their bellies full of delicious beef supreme chalupas. I’d start thinking about 5-layer grilled stuffed burritos and the last time I had soft chicken tacos and wonder how many calories I’d burn walking to Taco Bell and then I’d look down and see that I was only on minute three.
You don’t know my pain.
Once I get a hungering for a craving, it’s hard for me to think about much else. I’ve had weeks eating nothing but tacos. And growing up around so many Tex-Mex restaurants, it’s easy to see why I’ve always got Mexican on my mind!
This recipe is great for satisfying that Mexican food craving, without the guilt. The dressing is made with avocado, cilantro, light sour cream, and honey, and tossed with cabbage and carrots to make a light slaw. Wrap in a warm corn tortilla and top with sauteed shrimp spiced with seasonings, queso fresco, and extra limes, and you’ve got yourself a pretty sweet meal, hombre.
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large lime, juiced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup green cabbage, sliced finely
- 1 cup red cabbage, sliced finely
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- queso fresco, crumbled
- Combine dry seasonings in a bowl.
- Rinse the shrimp and pat it dry. In a deep sautée pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, then add shrimp. Sprinkle with dry seasonings, and let cook on both sides until fully cooked and opaque through the middle. Set the shrimp aside.
- Puree all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Adjust salt to taste.
- Combine the sliced cabbage and carrots. Pour in enough dressing to lightly coat vegetables and stir.
- Warm the tortillas on both sides in a heated pan. Place the cabbage and carrot slaw at the bottom of each taco, and top with shrimp. Garnish with cheese, additional cilantro and limes.
Your comments make my day. Thank you!