Is there anything better than coming home from a long day of work and knowing there’s a freshly cooked meal waiting for you?
Yesterday at lunch I washed, dried, rubbed, and filled a whole chicken, then left it in the slow cooker over some chopped onions to cook for about 6 hours. The entire house was filled with the smell of delicious herbs when I walked through the door. The skin was browned and the meat was so tender it fell off the bone when I transferred it to a plate (this is why, if you look closely, you’ll see a wing missing!). There was no oil or butter added and the chicken released it’s own juices over time, keeping the meat moist.
I love using freshly prepared chicken for my recipes, but on those days when I don’t have much time I’ll grab a rotisserie chicken to shred in it’s place. But now there’s a fool-proof way to have my own healthy chicken hot and ready to go when I get home! Here’s the recipe:
- 1 5-6 lb chicken
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 1/2 tbsp Mrs. Dash Original Blend
- 1 yellow onion , loosely chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 crushed garlic
- Combine all seasoning ingredients except for the onion, lemon, and garlic in a small bowl.
- Remove giblets from chicken, wash, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub the dry mix all over the chicken, as well as in the cavity. Place the lemon and garlic in the cavity.
- Spread the onions on the base of the crockpot, and then place chicken on top. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours, until chicken is cooked through.