When you’re a working mom, your three best friends go by the names of Coffee, Dry Shampoo, and Crockpot. You often hang out with Malbec and Anything Carbohydrate and sometimes even Can I Just Febreeze This, but overall you stick to your three very best friends.
Lately all of our meals have been straightforward, simple, and have required little prep. This Mexican Chicken is so very easy because you can dump every thing in your slow cooker at lunch, head to work or run errands, and come back to a healthy and filling dinner. This chicken can be used in tacos or a salad, but we often make this in a bowl with cilantro lime rice, freshly diced tomatoes, avocado, grated cheese, sour cream, and chopped cilantro!
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Bowl
8 hr 10 min
8 hr 10 min
For the chicken
- 2 lbs. chicken breast (about 4 chicken breasts)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the toppings
- cilantro lime rice
- sour cream
- diced tomatoes
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Combine the dry seasonings in a small bowl, then sprinkle over the chicken breast. Add in the chicken broth, green chilies, and black beans. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove from slow cooker and shred chicken. Return back to slow cooker, stir, and let cook for another 10 minutes. Season to taste, then add to rice and top with desired toppings.
The Richmond avenue http://therichmondavenue.com/