Chrissy Teigen is one of my favorite celebrities to follow on social media. She’s completely unfiltered and unapologetic and I’m pretty sure we’re best friends, even though she has no idea who I am.
I had been looking forward to her cookbook for the longest time after seeing her post mouth-watering photo after photo, and when it appeared on my doorstep I locked myself in a dark room and cried for hours while reading every single recipe. Her photos are stunning and her stories are hilarious and I couldn’t wait to try each one!
There is a section of the book dedicated to her favorite recipes from her mom (who is Thai) and one of the recipes featured is a Pad Grapow dish. The ingredients are so simple and it takes less than 30 minutes to make, so I knew it’d be the first one I’d try.
To make, marinate thinly sliced chicken breast in oyster sauce and soy sauce for 10 minutes, while mincing fresh garlic and a serrano pepper. I added 1/3 of a red bell pepper and since I didn’t have vegetable oil, I substituted olive oil with a splash of sesame oil. Heat the oil in a wok until hot, add the bell pepper, then the garlic and serrano pepper, and then saute the marinated chicken until just cooked. Toss in fresh basil until wilted and serve over a bed of jasmine rice.
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless chicken breasts, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 1/3 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 cups fresh Thai or regular basil leaves
- cooked jasmine rice, for serving
- In a shallow bowl, toss the chicken with the oyster sauce and soy sauce and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Mash the garlic and chile in a mortar and pestle until finely smashed (or mince with a knife).
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes, then toss in the garlic/chile combo and cook for about 30 seconds. Increase the heat to high, add the chicken, and cook, stirring until just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Toss the basil and cook until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Serve over jasmine rice.