I’d like to start this post by saying that we here at Richmond Avenue, Inc. love Chipotle. Like, looooooove Chipotle.
A little known fact about me – I once ate an entire Chipotle burrito in 6 minutes because I was running late for work. I feel like I’m supposed to say that it wasn’t one of my finer moments in life…but really, who am I kidding? I should add that to my resume.
But I digress.
Chipotle has really stepped up their already-awesome game the last few years. They’ve recently adopted the “Whole or Nothing” motto, which basically says that everything they prepare is fresh and made in store. Their animals are cage-free and their vegetables are planted in healthy soils, which upholds their commitment to producing “food with integrity.”
But what do you do when you’re craving their steak burrito with that cilantro-lime rice and fresh tomato salsa and you don’t want to hear another employee comment that you’ve been in every day this week? You whip it up yourself, of course!
This recipe has tender slices of grilled flank steak over romaine lettuce with Skinnytaste’s Cilantro Lime Rice, fresh corn, black beans, sour cream, freshly made pico, and homemade salsa verde – all topped with queso blanco. I marinate the meat overnight , and then all the ingredients come together pretty quickly. There are so many different flavors in this dish that compliment one another, and it’s filled with so much yummy goodness you’ll start to think that you too could finish this in 6 minutes.
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 2 whole corn, boiled and kernals sawed, or 1 bag frozen corn, thawed
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, chopped into thin strips
- 3 cups Skinnytaste's Cilantro Rice (recipe linked in blog)
- 1 can black beans, drained
- pico de gallo, recipe to follow
- queso blanco, for topping
- sour cream, for topping
- red or green salsa, for topping
- lime, for topping
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, diced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the flank steak in a shallow container. Whisk all marinade ingredients together, then pour over the steak. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Mix the corn kernals and black bean kernals together. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and lime juice to taste, and set aside. Combine all the ingredients for the pico de gallo and set aside.
- Heat an outdoor or indoor grill coated in olive oil to medium high heat. Sprinkle a little water on the grill - if it sizzles, it's ready to go! Place the steak on the grill at an angle and cook for 2-3 minutes, and then angle it slightly in the opposite direction to create grill marks. Cook for another 2 minutes and then turn over and repeat. Cook until steak has reached desired level (we cook ours to medium rare), and remove from heat. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing into 1 inch cubes. Remember to slice against the grain.
- Serve burrito bowl with rice, steak, romaine lettuce, pico de gallo, corn and black beans, sour cream, and crumbled queso blanco. Top with lime slices, salsa, and cilantro, if desired.