This week has flown by! It’s been one of those weeks with a lot of hustlin’ and bustlin’, where we don’t know if we’re coming or going, plans continuously keep changing, and I swear I’ve just been writing and rewriting my to-do list. So a very happy Friday, indeed!
During busy work weeks I try to cook dishes that 1) take little time to prepare 2) yield a large quantity 3) and can be used for several different types of meals, so this week I made a few modifications to a delicious recipe from Nigella Lawson that fit this criteria. It required only fifteen minutes of prep and I was able to leave everything roasting in the oven for about an hour, which – I’ll have you know – is the exact amount of time it takes to change into sweat pants, pop open a Diet Coke, get comfortable on the couch, clean up the Diet Coke that your puppy knocked over, and watch the entire 42 minute season finale of Orange is the New Black.
The meat was fantastic. It was juicy and flavorful with a great salted, roasted skin. I had leftovers for days and was happy to find that the chicken didn’t dry out over the week. We took Nigella’s suggestion and used the leftover chicken for quesadillas.
For the quesadillas – quickly saute the chicken in a skillet with olive oil and taco seasoning, and set it aside. In the same skillet, saute thin slices of one onion, one red bell pepper, and one green bell pepper. Heat up some butter on a flat griddle or skillet. When hot, add a flour tortilla and sprinkle some cheese, add the chicken, onions, and peppers and a little more cheese and place the other tortilla on top. Shove a handful of cheese in your mouth. When the bottom tortilla is toasted and golden, flip the quesadilla to toast the other side, adding a little more butter before placing it down. Do a little happy dance because it’s Friday, remove from the skillet and slice into fourths. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
- 10 -12 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on)
- 1/2 lb turkey or beef smoked sausage, sliced into 2 inch pieces
- 1 3/4 lb small white skinned potatoes, quartered
- 1 large red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 medium oranges
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 heaping tsps oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pour oil onto a large roasting or jelly pan. Rub oil on each chicken thigh and season each side generously with kosher salt and pepper. Rub the oil on the potatoes, onion, and bell pepper and season with salt and pepper, and place around the pan. Add sausage to pan.
- Squeeze the juice of one orange over the meat. Zest both oranges and sprinkle orange zest and oregano over all the ingredients in the pan. Place pan in the oven and bake for 55-60 minutes. Check to make sure that the internal temperature is 165 degrees or that the juices run clear. If not, return to oven until chicken is fully cooked.