Let me just start off by saying that it took me longer to photograph this salad than actually make it.
Partly because I’m still figuring out the best location to shoot in the new house and partly because I spent the rest of my time cropping and editing several happy dog tails and snouts and beady little eyes from the corners of my photos.
And Sadie and Sam spent most of the night pretending to be nonchalant about the bacon I was frying, while secretly waiting for me to inevitably spill something.
Don’t even get me started on the crepe cake disaster of 2015.
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- romaine lettuce
- fresh spinach
- feta cheese
- 8 ounces cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained, or 1 large fresh orange, peeled and sliced
- sliced avocado
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp orange marmalade
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small sprig rosemary, or 1/2 tsp dried, crushed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine dry seasonings in a bowl.
- Rinse the shrimp and pat it dry. In a deep sautée pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, then add shrimp. Sprinkle with dry seasonings, and let cook on both sides until fully cooked and opaque through the middle. Set the shrimp aside.
- Combine all ingredients and whisk in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the cooked shrimp and the toppings, then drizzle with salad dressing.
- Dressing Recipe from Rachel Ray: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/romaine-salad-with-red-onions-walnuts-and-orange-vinaigrette-recipe.html