When food blogging is your hobby, you sometimes wind up doing weird things.
For instance, this baked strawberry pecan oatmeal was made one night after work last week and became my dinner.
And at times you may or may not find me waking up at 6 am to make and photograph meatloaf or baked ziti, which usually just becomes my breakfast.
It’s also a great excuse for those days I don’t want to be an adult and just want lemon cake for lunch, tacos for breakfast, and pancakes for supper…
…and I’m pretty sure it’s the secret to a happy and full (maybe in more ways than one) life!
This baked strawberry pecan oatmeal was just the right amount of sweet and crunch with roasted strawberries and toasted pecans. The pecans were tossed with oatmeal, cinnamon, and nutmeg, covered with almond milk, honey, vanilla, and butter, sprinkled with fresh fruit and a pinch of brown sugar, and then baked for a little over 30 minutes. Serve alone or top with whipped cream or maple syrup!
- 2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups almond milk (or any milk you prefer)
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- brown sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease a baking pan (I used a round 10" pan) and set aside. In a small skillet, heat the chopped pecans over medium heat and toast for 4-5 minutes, until fragrant, stirring often.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients: nuts, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients: eggs, vanilla, milk, butter, honey or maple syrup.
- Spread 1/2 of the strawberries in the baking pan, cover with dry oat mixture, and then pour the wet mixture evenly over the top. Pat down any dry oatmeal to ensure that the dish is thoroughly covered with the milk.
- Spread the remaining strawberries on top, and sprinkle with light brown sugar, if desired. Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool 5-10 minutes for serving.