I have a confession. The photo above shows my second attempt at making these mozzarella sticks.
The first attempt is currently residing in my belly.
In my defense, I didn’t freeze them as long as I should have and they melted while baking in the oven. So feel free to tell yourself that sometimes you just have to just be a trooper and make an entire second batch of delicious warm and gooey mozzarella sticks that melt in your mouth. You know, for research.
These are one of my favorite appetizers, and it’s pretty simple to make at home! Baking these mozzarella sticks versus frying makes it a lighter version without forgoing any of the flavor.
Serve with warmed marinara sauce on the side and enjoy!
- 12 part-skim mozzarella sticks, halved
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 large egg, beaten, plus 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- Marinara sauce for dipping (optional, but not really)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place cheese sticks in the freeze until frozen, (this took me nearly 45 minutes - it prevents the cheese from melting when in the oven). In the meantime, place the flour in a bowl, the egg + water in another bown, and combine the panko, breadcrumbs, parmesan, and dried parsley in a third bowl.
- When cheese sticks are completely frozen, remove from the freezer and toss each one with flour, dip in the egg wash, and roll in the breadcrumbs. Place on a lightly greased baking tray (or parchment paper) and bake for 4-6 minutes, then turn over and bake for an additional 4-6 minutes.
- Serve with warmed marinara sauce.