2018 is here and I have returned to work after a 3-month maternity leave. It’s been an adjustment, for sure. Yesterday morning I sleepily spent a good 2 minutes wiping off my glasses because they were so blurry before I realized it was because I had already put my contacts in. I’m a little socially awkward after spending 3 months talking to only a baby and 2 dogs. And I’m pretty sure I’ve shown her photo to people in the halls who hadn’t even asked to see it.
Life looks a little different these days. Laundry and mail pile up a little more easily and I’ve used my coffeemaker and crockpot more than I ever have (especially for recipes like this beef stew).
And then there’s our little Sofia. She smiles when I yawn. I yawn because it’s 3 am and she’s hungry. And then I yawn again because it makes her smile.
Trying to balance being a new mom and a good employee will take some time. But for now, I am thankful for the time I’ve had with her, a wonderful support system, and a job with people I care about. And for that extra cup of coffee.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6oz can tomato paste
- 32oz beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups baby carrots carrots
- 4-5 small red potatoes,cut into bite-sized pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine beef, celery, carrots, red onion, potatoes, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, and tomato paste in the crock pot. I used a 6 qt crockpot for this stew. Cook on LOW for 10 hours or on HIGH for 6-7 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, mix the flour and the water together in a small dish and pour into the crockpot. Mix until well combined. This will add a nice thickness to the stew. Next add in your frozen peas and corn. Continue cooking covered for 30 minutes.
Your comments make my day. Thank you!